Psalms 23 (ESV) - The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
As we have discussed some this week and as the Bible makes abundantly clear: living for God comes at a great cost and requires sacrifice.
However, what is the limit of what God can do in your life? Can you out give God?
What if living on mission for God cost you more than you know but also brought you and your family shepherding like you could never imagine, restoration to your soul beyond your belief, a feeling of righteousness like you didn't think was possible, no fear, amazing peace, provision for your every need (not want), protection from your enemies, goodness and mercy beyond anything you deserve, and the feeling of the presence of the Lord in all things?
I'm not saying that God's promises to us are dependent on our faithfulness, but I am saying that at times we rob ourselves from the grace of God in our lives when we refuse to submit to His work in our lives.
Stop living in the fear of thinking if you just work harder and smarter you'll be just a little better off. Stop thinking and living that if you can put just a little more back or move one more rung up the ladder you won't have to work so hard in the future. We should stop thinking that our hope in life is dependent on our success and accomplishments and start living our lives like we trust God.
Giving our lives to living on mission the way He has called us to live it will change our lives. God will become more real to us than we could ever possibly imagine. We will see Him providing for us in ways we didn't even think of. We will have unknowns, we will have questions, we will have times of stretching in all kinds of uncomfortable ways but God is worth it and He is always in control. He planned it that way, all we have to do it learn to trust Him.
- What are your thoughts on the following quote and how your life might look differently if you lived like you believed it, "There is nothing the nearness to God can't handle"?
- What are some areas where you can grow to trust God more with your life; things you can give up and things you can embrace and do more?
- Pray that we grow in our ability to relinquish control of our lives to God and trust Him to be God in our lives.
- Pray for those who do not know Christ to hear the gospel and accept this hopeful, saving faith.
- Pray for our NAMB missionaries, pray that they stay focused on the joy of serving God through their difficult tasks, pray for their families, and all the things they must trust to God's ever-loving care.